Our dining room bay window was in desperate need of some curtains. Where we live, the houses are so close together and it can be pretty awkward if neighbors are in parallel rooms without curtains.
This was definitely another one of those "settle for what we can afford" projects. We both really wanted to get Roman shades, but since we would've had to get custom ones, they weren't an option.
I knew that I wanted the fabric to be a gray and yellow pattern to match the dark gray paint color in our dining room. I went searching for some fabric that I liked. I came across a genius blog post: Anderson and Grant. In this post, curtains are made from a Target Threshold™ Tablecloth.
I needed two for my windows.
For the curtain lining, I used two KNOPPA flat sheets from IKEA.
We used spring loaded curtain rods so that we wouldn't have to drill a bunch of holes into the window trim. Plus, they were really cheap.
To make sure that I liked the fabric, I draped it over one of the rods and hung it up just to see what it looked it.
I was happy with it so I continued. I loosely followed this tutorial - House of Hepworths - How to make professional lined curtain panels - to make the curtains.
Everything turned out great good enough, except for one thing: in the middle window, the weight of the curtain made the curtain rod sag in the middle.
Roman made a little hook out of aluminum and he screwed it into the window frame.
Then I just hooked the curtain rod on it. Much better:
I'm not super happy with how they turned out, but we mostly needed privacy and they provide it. They'll do for now.